Mold is a fungus that produces spores which float in the air like pollen. When people with a mold allergy inhale these spores, they experience allergic symptoms that can range in severity depending on the extent of the allergy and the type/amount of mold present in the home. There are several different reasons why mold is growing in your home, the most common of which is water damage and high indoor humidity levels. If you experience any of the following signs of mold allergy, contact a mold removal company in Houston that can clean mold from your air ducts, carpets, or anywhere else mold is growing inside your home.
Common Mold Allergy Symptoms
The symptoms of mold allergy are similar to other allergy symptoms, which include sneezing, runny or stuffy nose, itchy throat, swollen eyelids, itchy eyes, coughing, wheezing, and trouble breathing. If you experience any of these symptoms for at least two weeks, consult with your doctor or primary care physician to determine whether mold or some other allergen is to blame.
More Serious Health Effects of Mold Exposure
In addition to the abovementioned allergic symptoms, prolonged exposure to certain types of indoor mold can produce more serious health effects. Long-term exposure to indoor molds can lead to pulmonary fibrosis, internal bleeding, immune disorders, gastrointestinal conditions, and in severe cases certain types of cancer. If you suspect mold is present in your home, contact an air duct cleaning company in Houston that can remove mold from inside your air ducts (one of the most common places for mold growth inside the home).
Diagnosing a Mold Allergy
If you are concerned about mold allergy and the presence of mold in your home, consult with your doctor or primary care physician who will perform skin and/or blood testing to determine if you are indeed sensitive to mold allergens. If you are diagnosed with a mold allergy and experience any of the common allergic symptoms inside your home, contact a mold removal company to identify and remove the source of mold in your home.